Fair Housing Month serves as a reminder and a celebration of the Fair Housing Act, which makes it illegal to discriminate in housing based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, familial status, or disability. The legislation was signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson on April 11, 1968. Each April, we come together as a community and a nation to celebrate the anniversary of the passing of the Fair Housing Act and recommit to that goal which inspired us in the aftermath of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s assassination in 1968: to eliminate housing discrimination and create equal opportunity in every community.
What are your specific rights and protections under Fair Housing Act regulations?
When it comes to selling or renting a home or apartment unit, no one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
- For-profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing services) related to the sale or rental of housing.”
When it comes to applying for a mortgage loan, no one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability):
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Refuse to provide information regarding loans
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points, or fees
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan or
- Set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan.
Richmond Neighborhood Housing Services promotes and advocates for homeownership for underrepresented and underserved communities within our service area. We offer a simple process to put you in the driver’s seat of home ownership, so that you can start building assets for you and your family. Reach out to us today to see what we can do for you!